Thursday, December 31, 2020

Falling into a New Rhythm: September 2020

I have always admired those who home-schooled their children but have been intimidated to do so myself. I set to work picking some curriculum for the year that would be interesting and suit our lifestyle. There are many options out there and it was fun to learn what styles felt the most natural for us! I was really inspired by Charlotte Mason and nature learners! I also really wanted to create a solid foundation for math that was easy enough for me to teach as well as including good grammar and phonics. This year we are doing earth science, I really like the flow of the one we picked and that I can move the weeks around to my liking based on what we are doing or what time of year it is. We are also learning the history of the Americas. 

I have been trying to stay flexible and work with each kids learning style and individual level. I have enjoyed incorporating art or little field trips. I adore the variety of amazing picture books available that match up with what we are learning and often include a wealth of information with beautiful illustrations.

These pictures are from when we were just getting started. Nora has her own space and sometimes works alongside us or goes and does her own thing.


 
August climbing in what the kids call the monkey tree



Riley lost a tooth
 
Week 1: glitter glue drawing about the big bang

Week 2: layers of the earth




Adventure to Ada Hayden

They had an awesome time looking for rocks and climbing around.  We found a lot of butterflies and birds in the tall grasses. I have been trying to attract goldfinches to our feeders at home but they love this park because of all of the nice thistles that are blooming!




Painting outside with beet juice from the garden


August made a porcupine
Riley made flowers and grass
 
Reading, My Fathers Dragon, with August. 
I added this book. We were also reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland at the time for Language Arts. My Fathers Dragon is a really cute and funny book.


 
Dinosaur dig kit
They were so excited each time they found a piece
The bigger one was in pieces and had to be put together like a puzzle

Picnic and playing at Brookside park after school

Week 3 Science: Tectonic Plates

Riley enjoying her guitar again

 
Grandma Nancy Brought Nora an early birthday cookie!
September 13th

No comments:

Post a Comment