Monday, January 16, 2017

Kyla's 3rd Birthday





Today our baby girl would have been 3 years old. I feel her absence often. Sometimes when I go places with Riley, August and Nora there is a nagging feeling like I have forgotten something at home. It's just a feeling that doesn't go away and cannot be repaired.

Riley talks about her and includes her in drawings of our family, which comforts me.  It makes me happy to say her name and feel like I am doing something for this child, too.

Riley made this butterfly to attach to one of the balloons that we will release in memory of Kyla.  It was cute, she said she wanted Kyla to know who it was from and that she is loved.  In the midst of a chaotic day at home I am reminded at how thoughtful and loving children are

Today there was an ice storm so we are delaying the balloons.



Christmas Cookie Day

This year Riley's preschool class sent her home with a gift of a pouch of sugar cookie mix and a star cookie cutter (her class name is the Monstars).  We found a good day to make a glorious mess and went to town.  Normally, I love to make everything from scratch, but I really enjoyed this mix because it was easy enough that with very little help from me the kids could mix it up themselves. I supervised the cutting and did the baking. Now the fun part, decorating!  There was a sprinkle explosion.  
     This difference between this year and the last with Riley was amazing. She could do so much more on her own. She did a lot of decorating and licking her fingers, so these are not the kind of cookies that you give away; these are just for fun and learning how to do things.











to be continued...

2 comments:

  1. What fun! Cookie making/decorating is always a blast! :)

    Kyla was on my mind today, too. It's so neat to hear that Riley includes her and thinks of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some ways it is hard to believe it has been three years. I think the butterfly to tie on to one of the balloons is great.

    ReplyDelete