Sunday, January 26, 2014

Kyla

This is a difficult post for Chelsea and I to make. I'm not really sure how to start it, and I'm not really sure how to end it. I guess it'll just have to be what it is. I think you'll understand.


 How Many Children Do You Have?
-Valerie Larson Minihan

"How many children do you have?" they ask.
Oh, that dreaded question.
"How much time do you have," I wonder silently to myself.
Do you really want to know? And do you really care?
Am I up to going through the entire crazy, confusing tale?
If you have the time, my friend, here's the answer I will give ...

I have children that dance and children that sing,
children that cuddle all kinds of live things,
children with freckles and dimples and bows,
children that run through the sprinkler and hose,
children that color (on paper and walls),
ones that love stomping and jumping in puddles,
children that ask, "What is that for?"
and spill glasses and glasses of milk on the floor,
children that laugh and children that cry,
and constantly ask Mommy and Daddy, "Why?"
But I have one that is different, set apart from the rest,
one I've never known the joy of nursing at my breast.
One we cannot cuddle, one we cannot hold,
though we will in our hearts as we grow old.
She I cannot rock when stormy is the night,
or tuck snugly in bed with the fading of day's light.
Though here with my now, four is all that you see,
"I have five children," I'd say, with a glance towards the sky,
"Four that can run and one that can fly."


 As some of you already know, on January 15th, Chelsea went in for her normal, scheduled 30 week pregnancy checkup. During the routine heartbeat check, they were unable to find a pulse, so they did an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that our baby had died. We induced labor that afternoon and at 12:21am on Thursday, January 16th, Kyla Gehman was delivered stillborn.
A photographer from Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep came and took some free photos for us, which was greatly appreciated. Here are some of those photos that capture a few of the brief, precious moments we had with our daughter.
 her little hands and feet are perfect








To Kyla

There's something bewildering about all of this. This simply was not how it was supposed to go. This wasn't even on my radar.

Yes, Mommy and I both understood that a pregnancy wasn't a guarantee. Yes, the secrecy during your first trimester was because of the higher chance of losing you before we even met you. Yes, we waited, none too patiently, to tell anybody the wonderful news. But then came the first ultrasound and there was the undeniable proof. Your tiny, active body evaded detection as the ultrasound tech tried to pin you down and get a good look at you. And the 28th week passed by, and we were confident in you - in your life, your viability. So you will have to forgive us for thinking you were a sure thing, for looking past the final few months and planning our new life together - wondering how much you would be similar to (and different from) your older sister, imagining the two of you playing together, already feeling the joy of watching you grow. Our imaginations and our dreams and our hopes came up with all sorts of scenarios for what it would be like to meet you and get to know you. But not this. Never this.


When Riley was born, I felt the strangest mixture of awe and pride and respect and love for Mommy. It was a new mix of feelings, and I loved every bit of it. Mommy went through a lot of pain, but the reward, your sister, is worth it all infinity-fold. I was excited and nervous while Mommy expressed her pain. And I cried a bit out of sheer exhaustion and happiness when I saw Riley for the first time. But this time was different. This time I cried for Mommy as she felt the most unrewarding pain in the world. And when your lungs just couldn't cry out like they were supposed to, I cried for you. When your tiny, limp fingers wouldn't hold on to mine, I cried for you. When your unprepared eyes never opened to see this beautiful world and the amazing life you would have known, I cried for you. I'm still crying for you. And even if the tears ever dry up, my heart will always cry for the one inside you that will never beat again.


"It's impossible to say goodbye," Mommy said as we desperately held each other next to your lifeless body. And in a way she was completely wrong, because of course it's possible to cry the tears and say the words and walk away, and of course it's possible to move on with life. But mostly she was right. Because despite all the tears, despite the spoken words that echo in your silence, despite the effort to turn towards our future without you, we will never forget you, and we will never finish saying goodbye.


-Daddy

9 comments:

  1. Oh Keenan and Chelsea. She is absolutely beautiful, and so perfect. Please know that I will be praying for your family. Grief is a funny and terrible thing. It never does end, there is no closure when you lose a child. Cling to each other. Accept help when people offer. You guys are so loved and I am so incredibly sorry for your loss <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing such a beautiful sorry about your daughter!My husband and myself also lost a daughter Almost 3 years ago. Lost her a day before her"due date" and 3 days prior had a great heartbeat as well, andno need for alarm. A loss of a child is the worst thing togo through. I know you guys are strong and will make it through. God has a plan for your beautiful daughter. She was taken to soon in our eyes but she is right on time to go back home too the lord. Hold onto each other in this time, don't septate and try to deal with the grief separately. So sorry for your loss, no one should have to go through this pain. God bless to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been where you are. I am so sorry that you are going through this. You will treasure those pictures! Be kind to yourself and each other. May God hold you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no clue this was you guys untill I saw the last name.. God bless you guys.. Im so sorry to hear this..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no children of my own, but I can empathize with your loss. It's impossible to say goodbye because you really never had the chance to say hello. I only met you briefly Keenan, but I believe that you area a good man (believe me, I don't throw that around lightly). Circumstances such as these are so mind-blowingly shocking because in this day and age we have so much faith in technology and medical sciences. It makes it so much harder to see the tiny truths and the almost insignificant actions that truly mean the most to all of us. Faith in Life, Respect for each other, and honoring the memory of those who have impacted your journey through this physical plane. I am here for both of you, my shoulders and ears are yours if you wish to use them for awhile.
    Until then, give Chelsea a hug for me and know that you and yours are in my thoughts. Sincerely, Scot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our story is almost the same. We lost our first granddaughter Rylee Ann at almost 30 weeks. The phone call is haunting. I work as a school nurse and returning to school and all the questions of hows the new baby? I also get how many grandchildren do you have? My head just spins with what to say. I see others who have lost a child no matter the age and I understand the grief they have. We are all members of the broken heart club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lost our beautiful granddaughter 2 years ago one day after her due date. My daughter went into the hospital for a non-stress test and they lost the heartbeat. She had been moving around and kicking just before that. This was my daughter and son-in-law's first child and like everyone has said you never expect are forever this to happen. When people ask me how many grandchildren I have I include Taylor. When they ask me their ages I list the ages and when I get to Taylor - I say she's an angel. People look confused at first then they realize what I mean and they look sad and say how sorry they are. Our hearts are forever broken and we will never understand why this happened. Even after 2 years it's hard to talk about it. You should include all the grandchildren because they were born into your family and will always hold a special place. On a happier note, the following year we welcomed a beautiful baby boy who is a wonderful joy in our lives and we tell him all about his "angel sister" even though he's very young. I think grandparents really get a double whammy as we are hurting ourselves and then we have to watch our children experiencing the terrible grief and the look on their faces just makes our hearts sink. The photographer we had was wonderful and gave us such beautiful pictures of our beautiful angel.

      Delete
  7. We felt and still feel exactly the same feelings and think the same thoughts. It happened to us june 14th this year that our first son Mika was stillborn in the 34th week of a wonderfull pregnancy. I am crying when I read through this wonderful text but these are tears of love and I won't miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do we say??? And when is it appropriate and not appropriate??? I get so sick of the eyerolls. When I am asked how many children do we have, I answer ... 2 and 1 sweet Angel!!! It's the complete truth!!! I love this child, felt him move and kick ... And I birthed him!!! He is mine and I will never deny his existence!!! It's nice to hear the dad's perspective!!!
    ALWAYS BLESSING ❤ NEVER LOSSES

    ReplyDelete