Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Gingerbread Man

Christmas in Ottumwa
December 16 and 17

The kids were really excited for the first Christmas celebration of the year, mostly to get some cousin time. All of the kids played really well together but Riley and Olivia had their own world again and were inseparable throughout the weekend. They were found giggling together in the playroom, the living room, and under the kitchen table. Liam is really gentle with the little kids and really enjoys snuggling with Nora, makes me feel nice to see them bond. 

All the kids watching a movie together


At Home Again

  Riley got out of school early on Wednesday, the 20th. The Kindergartners all got to make a gingerbread house in the school cafeteria that day! Becky Crawford was nice enough to watch August and Nora for the morning so I could go and be there with Riley. She was so excited that I was there that she wanted me to stay all day.
 






   
   This year Riley wanted to make gingerbread cookies like from "The Gingerbread Man" book. She even asked me if I would lock the door before we started so they couldn't get away! Gotta love that imagination and sense of humor.  She did a really good job cutting them out and I helped her transfer them to the cookie sheet then she was gleeful at decorating them!  I made a maple gingerbread. They rolled out well and held their shape but I didn't think they tasted extraordinary so I think I will try another recipe if we make them again.
 















        It is hard to get just one good one where they are all looking so I posted a lot!



 This year we are doing "Mouse Pocket". It is what my mom used as an advent calendar.  I wrote little slips of paper and put in them, I kept most of them pretty simple.  The kids loved the food related ones the best but seem equally pleased at the prospect of snuggling and reading Christmas books. They enjoyed making the hand print wreath, except for Nora, she screamed. We made a oreo mint shake, a take on a Munson tradition. It makes me happy to see them enjoy things like gingerbread houses so much, that was a weekend one.

No comments:

Post a Comment